Monday, December 3, 2012

Blessings on your Advent




This photo of Mary painted by Henry Ossawa Tanner in 1898 was used by Brother Michael Laratonda, FMS on this past weekend's Advent Retreat entitled The Divine Pregnancy.  The oil painting captures Mary sitting in stillness as she is visited by Gabriel.  Mary is portrayed as a teen age girl in a simple and rumpled peasant dress without halo or any other holy attribute.  Gabriel appears only as a shaft of light. The original painting was placed in the Philadelphia Museum of Art in 1899.  I share with you my own small reflection on  the painting, after Brother Michael's illuminating retreat, hoping it might  resonate with a piece of your heart.  


Advent

I sit still and ask for nothing
and in some way everything comes to me.
I sit and try to stay in the truth
of who I am
of who God calls me to be
and in some way everything fills me.

Is Advent that moment in history
where the invitation to stay empty
teaches us about the fullness that comes with emptiness?

Mary sat in stillness and silence. 
Did she feel empty
because she didn’t trust herself enough
to know if she should say yes?
Or did she simply
sit in her emptiness
and say “your will be done”
and allow the extravagance of God
to fill her emptiness?

And is that what it truly means
to allow ourselves
to be mother
to incarnate the divinity
so that others can see
the God who is still and quiet within,
the God who transforms
our emptiness, our nothingness,
into the womb of divine life.

2 comments:

  1. What a truly beautiful meditation, Julia. And the Tanner Annunciation has always been one of my favorites. When you see it at the Museum, it's like a spotlight is shining out of the painting, illuminating the whole room!
    Melinda Parsons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful poem, Julie! I may be asking you if we can use it in the enewsletter this time next year!

    ReplyDelete